The main aim of windshield repair is to restore the properties of safety to its original state and to keep the small chips or cracks away and from growing beyond the size to the point where they cannot be repaired, and eventually which would lead to windshield replacement.
The process of windshield repair can only be implemented on laminated safety screens like the front screen. The windscreen is made up of two glass layers with a PVB or Polyvinyl Butyral membrane layer resting in between. The membrane works as a shield that holds the screen in place in case any accident occurs and preventing it from shattering and injuring the driver and passengers, if any, in the vehicle.
The windshield can crack up to 12 centimeters in length and can chip up to the size of a small coin on the external side of the windscreen. It can be repaired with the help of a specialized windscreen repair system. If there are any loose particles of glass, they are removed and a special bonding resin is applied with the help of a pressure piston, which removes any trapped air. It is then cured with UV radiation. If the repair is carried out correctly by the best auto glass company in Suwanee, it restores the original safety characteristics of the windscreen permanently.
If the damage is repairable, it should be repaired immediately because:
- It will help in preventing small cracks or chips to spread beyond the size which would have eventually led to windshield replacement.
- It helps in keeping the dust and other particles at bay from the damage. They are simply impossible to remove and they also hamper with the quality of the repair.
- It prevents damp from entering the damage. If any water gets inside the damage, it is very difficult to remove. It also prevents the resin from filling and hampers with the repairs too. Evaporate the dampness in the sun for a day or two. And do not clean the screen before the repairs.
Types of irreparable damage if you are in metro Atlanta
- Any kind of damage that is extendable to both laminated glass sheets.
- Any kind of damage if its radius of the center of the crater is larger than 5 mm.
- Any kind of crack that is beyond 12 cm.
- Any kind of damage on the inner layer of the glass screen.
- Any kind of damage to the PVB layer of the glass.